Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tell me who you are to me, an I'll tell you who I am.

Who am I?

That is perhaps the most difficult question I have ever had to answer. I have no labels for myself, but many in the relation to others. I am a DAUGHTER, SISTER, stepchild, stepsister, guardian, STUDENT, teacher, teammate, employee, coworker, FRIEND, significant other, associate, pedestrian, child, fan, or no-one, to at least someone at some point of my life.

In Junior High I remember being asked to write about myself at least once a year. I always would start off by saying something along the lines of… “I was born on December 8th, 1990 in Georgetown, Guyana,” along with other random facts about my life experiences. Although I can supply numerous facts about myself, that does not say much about who I really am, and how those things have shaped Sabrina. I’m not sure of who I am or my purpose in life, but as soon as I know, you’ll know, but please don't hold your breath.

Now I shall recite to you my Junior-High-like stories with random facts about my life, in semi college level writing:

I’m Sabrina, Sabs for short, but most remember me as the girl with the Afro. I was born on December 8th, 1990 in Georgetown, Guyana and migrated to Brooklyn, New York at the age of 4 with my Mom, Dad, Sister and Brother. I’ve always been the shyest person in the classroom and the loudest person at home, but that has changed slightly as I’ve gotten older.

Fast-forward 15 years…

I am an upper sophomore at Hunter College and a Math major (Yikes). My career aspiration is to become a math professor, just because I’m good at it! I just happen to be one of those people who can follow formulas and procedures, but can’t spell or create anything to save my life.

What you've missed in the 15 years:

I am a Starbucks drinking, Blackberry holding, Chipotle eating, Facebook checking, Twitter tweeting type of girl. My favorite movies are The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Sixteen Candles, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, and Matilda and I’ve seen them all about a million times. I am the proud mother of a Delta Betta Fish, named Peeve… as in my pet Peeve. I am the product of divorced parents. I love to play volleyball and I love doodling. I dislike jean skirts and mayonnaise. I suffer from middle child syndrome. At night I can only see from my right eye. I am left-handed. I am a former Snapple cover collector. I am allergic to peaches, plums, pears, apples, grapes and all of the delicious fruits. I have been referred to as Brina, Sabby, Sabs, Alexis, Carrots, but rarely by my given name Sabrina. I will change my mind an infinite amount of times. I will use Google to answer every question that I can think of. I read self help books. I have gone very few days without a Diet Coke and several packs of Almond M&M’s. My favorite word is Eureka. I trip frequently. I talk in run on sentences.

No comments:

Post a Comment