Saturday, February 20, 2010

KATHERINE PYSHER'S POST

When I try to think about how to describe myself, the two things that stand out are that I am lucky and that I excel at the useless. On the surface I am a blonde, former prep-school teen vogue “it” girl born into an upper-middle class family in Manhattan. I am 21 years old – the eldest of four kids – and a bit of an anglophile. I believe it is these seemingly meaningless experiences (and a little bit of luck) that has created my random skills form a sort of Rube Goldberg Effect.

I went to private school until I transferred to the Bronx High School of Science. The private schools I attended taught in the style of Eleanor Roosevelt by using school to teach you HOW to learn and not just a regurgitation of a particular subject. On that note, I have experience using found objects to accomplish tasks. I once fixed my laptop with a set of broken headphones, a lighter and a pack of gum. It only worked for three days afterwards, but I bought myself enough time to recover my term paper. I have made crème brulee with a Bunsen burner and created a pair of acid wash jeans with hydrochloric acid. From attending the Bronx High School of Science, I have cultivated the ability to function on 2-3 hours of sleep for weeks on end. From years of dance I have developed a high physical endurance and an awareness of my surrounding.

I feel I am accomplished when it comes to communicating my thoughts in an engaging manner. I have received an award from Random House Publications in the area of short story writing and I was on a nationally ranked debate team for 4 years. I speak fluent LATIN. On a side note, when one is making a list of useless skills, being certified as fluent in a language that has been spoken for two thousand years will always top the list. Except when you consider that fact that I have also been a model since infancy. I have used the money earned by modeling to pay my way through college. Most importantly, people feel comfortable talking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment